This is my go to meal for some sustenance, its easy and simple to prepare and is great for both adults and toddlers.
It serves 4 adults (unless you’re greedy like me and john and eat it all) or 6 – 8 toddler meals.
There is also a printable at the end for you to download and print the recipe!
Nutrition (Approx): per serving (4)
- Kcal: 455
- Fat: 15.7g
- Saturates: 7.5g
- Carbs: 50.5g
- Sugars: 7g
- Fibre: 5.7g
- Protein: 27.1g
- Salt: 1g
- Mashed potato (homemade or ready-made) with preferably no large lumps
- 25g Butter
- 25g Flour
- 400ml Milk
- 4 Spring Onions (finely sliced)
- Frozen fish of your choice, skinned and boneless (I used Bass fillets but have previously used haddock) – Around 2 fillets or 250g (approx)
- Handful of frozen king prawns (pre-cooked not raw) – Around 250g (approx)
- 1 (dessert/standard) spoon of English Mustard
- Handful of frozen Sweetcorn (optional)
- Handful of frozen Peas (Optional)
- Around 20g of finely sliced Chives
- Handful of grated Cheddar
- Handful of grated Grana Padano
- Handful of Parsley (fresh or dried – I used dried for convenience)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180 Fan/ Gas Mark 6.
2. Put the butter and spring onions into a saucepan and heat until the butter has melted.
3. Add the flour and cook for 1 – 2 minutes, stir regularly.
4. Gradually whisk in the milk and bring to the boil, stir continuously to avoid any lumps and it sticking to the pan. Continue cooking until thickened.
5. Turn down the heat to the lowest setting and add the grated Grana Padano.
6. Meanwhile, cut up your fish into thick pieces, and add into the pan, followed by the prawns.
7. Stir in peas and sweetcorn (if using) – I didn’t use them in this instance but have done previously.
8. Sprinkle in the chives and season to your taste with salt and pepper.
9. Add a spoon of the mustard and stir well (if you like a stronger taste i recommend using a little more, i used a heaped spoonful). Stir well.
10. Take off the heat and spoon the mixture into an oven proof dish or into separate ramekins.
11. Spread the mashed potato on top of the mixture, making sure it’s fully covered.
12. Sprinkle the grated cheese and parsley over the top.
13. Cook in the oven for around 20 – 25 minutes , or until the top is golden and the sides are bubbling.
14. Serve with whatever you would like, i served it with a side salad. Always make sure your food is piping hot throughout before serving.
*If you use this recipe to make your own be sure to share it with me on social media!
To download the printable pdf click below!
Want to join my little Facebook community to get to know other bloggers? Click on the image below!
To read another blog post click on the images below!